Friday 17 September 2010

Avon Lotus Shield Review

Hey everyone! Sorry its been a wee while since I last blogged, but you know how it is, sometimes you just need a bit of a breather. I am going back to university next week, so hopefully this will make a bit more organised, as I have spent the summer lazing about! Anyway, enough about me, and on to the review!

I have already shown Lotus Shield in my first Avon Haul, and in my August Favourites. I wanted to give it a proper run for its money before I reviewed, as it is a product that has received quite a bit of coverage. As I have mentioned before, my friend Katie recently became an Avon rep, so she keeps me up to date with all the new products, and it was her newly acquired sales skills that persuaded me to buy this!



Firstly, I want to quickly talk about the price, which might seem strange at the start of the review, but this is a factor that does matter to me when buying a product. As a student, I don't have a huge amount of money, so find it hard to justify spending loads on one product. Then again, I buy lots of cheaper things, so its probably is a false economy! Anyway, I paid £5 for it, but as is often the case with Avon, this was an offer price, and the normal price is £7. Now, I do think this is quite alot for a hair product, and also alot for a product from Avon, as their prices are usually very reasonable. Price aside, lets get on with the review!

Packaging-

The picture above shows the outer packaging, a white cardboard sleeve. Once you manage to slide this off, the inner packaging is revealed-


Now, isn't this a bit excessive, and certainly not environmentally friendly? I can't help but think Avon have produced this fancy packaging to make the product seem more high end, and therefore justify the higher price tag? Pretty much all the other Avon products I have bought have come without packaging, and I really don't think this packaging adds anything. I looks nice I guess, but its just going to go in the bin anyway. Given the fact that Avon is only sold through the brochures or online, its not like the packaging is going to be drawing in the customers. Anyway, rant about that over! I do actually like the product, honestly! Once you open the silver packaging, you can then pull out the actual bottle, which isn't that easy.


See, all that packing, for a little bottle! I do like the size of the bottle, its small enough to be portable, but not too small that you don't get much product. It also very orange! Which kind of goes against the sleek packaging, but hey, least I can spot it on the shelf! You also get a leaflet in the box-


 Again, I don't really see the point of this! I have just shown the english portion here, its in other languages too. I think the important information could be on the bottle, this just seems like blurb to persuade you its great! The use instructions aren't great either, there is no indication of how much to use. I think this is a bit of an issue generally with Avon, they don't give great instructions for their products. Or maybe i'm a dumbass!

The product itself has a thin, gel consistency. The first thing that I noticed about the product is the lovely smell! It smells a bit like melon I think. The smell doesn't really stay on the hair once its applied though. As there is no guide to how much product should be used, I have been experimenting with amounts, and conferring with Katie. I generally apply about this amount-


Please excuse the shadow of my big head! I have found this amount does leave a little bit of a residue in my hair once its dried, but when I used less, I didn't get the same effect. What effect is that? Well, I feel that it smooths my hair, and makes it less 'big and puffy'. I tend to avoid straightening my hair on a daily basis, and with this product I can get the smooth effect that I like, without the heat! I have quite thick hair, and the lotus shield seems to calm it down. As for the humidity repelling effect, here in Scotland we don't tend to get humidity, its more like bucketing rain! So I haven't really noticed it making much difference, but when I can eventually afford to go back to South East Asia, i'll be able to test it out with humidity!

Oh, I almost forgot. One of the other main points that Avon say about this product is that it doesn't need to be used every time you wash your hair, as it lasts between washes. I tend to use it every second or third time, as I don't want product build up. Given this, and the fairly small amount I use, I think this bottle will last a good while.

So overall, I like the product as a smoothing, calming serum, but can't vouch for the humidity repelling. I think I probably would repurchase, but not at £7! Its been £5 for the last few brochures, so I hope that continues.

Have you tried Lotus Shield?
Do you have any other products you would recommend to calm my hair?
Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this, I always find that my hair ends up sort of fluffy rather than smooth after washing it and not straightening it. I otherwise have straight hair so its quite frustraiting having to bother with that step at times. Do you think it might help with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @enigma Yeah, I think it would help. I have been using a few other new products recently, and have been really pleased with the lack of fluff! I can do a post about all the products I have been using if you like?

    You can also use Lotus Shield on dry hair if you need a little extra smoothing.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great if you have the time :) I have tried a couple of serums over the years but the ones I have tried just made my hair sticky or greasy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...