Monday 21 March 2011

Barbara Daly concealer and eye base

L-R eye base, concealer.
This was a sneaky wee purchase a made a while back in Tesco, while there was an offer on Barbara Daly make up. These are the first things I have tried from the range, and I am pretty impressed. Unfortunately I can't remember how much I paid for them, and as I don't have a big Tesco near me here, I can't check the price. I am pretty sure both items are under £4 full price, and I got them with 20% off. I must remember to keep receipts in the future.

On to the actual products I got, which were an eye base and concealer. I have to admit, I thought this product was a primer until 2 seconds ago when I checked the label. I read recently that eye bases and primers are not the same, so maybe I have been using this wrongly, or expecting more from it than I should. I think I read that you should put a primer on before an eye base, but I didn't when I used it, thinking it was a primer. The package states that it 'Evens out eyelids and increases the wear and blendability of eyeshadows. Great as an ultra-light concealer too' So from that description it does sound like a primer. Anyway, however its supposed to be used, I used it straight on my eyelid, and then applied my eyeshadow on top. I like the fact that it is in pan form, as the other primer I have is in a tube (e.l.f). I think with a pan its easier to just add the amount you want. It blends on to the eyelid easily, and has that strange, wet but also dry feel that most primers have. The first time I used it I was amazed, I used it with a 17 shadow, and it lasted all day with no creasing. I have since used it with a few different eye shadows with variable effectiveness. Overall though, I think it is better than the e.l.f primer, although it is a little more expensive. Recently Bicky sent me a sample size of Urban Decay's legendary primer potion, as an extra in a giveaway prize, so I now have another primer to test out. In terms of shade, you can see from the swatch below that it is fairly light, but I think it would blend in and suit most skin tones.


L-R eye base, concealer.

The other product I got was a concealer, in fair. For some reason I have been wanting a pan form of concealer for ages, as I only have stick or liquid ones. This style is very handy to apply with a brush, and again easy to control amounts. I have tried the concealer on blemishes, and under eye, and it does cover up well. It did end up looking a bit cakey by the end of the day, so perhaps I need to apply more powder on top. The light shade is very light, so it is good for pale scottish skin like mine. I might even need the next shade up if I get any sun over the summer. Although this was ok under the eye, I will probably stick to using actual under eye concealer for there, and keep this for blemishes and red spots.

Overall, I am impressed with these products, and am glad I gave the range a try. I had another look last time I was in the Tesco at my bf's, but nothing stood out to me. Maybe if there is another offer on I will try something else!

Have you tried anything from the Barbara Daly range?
Or any other supermarket gems you have found?
Also, can you clear up my eye base/ primer dilemma? 

4 comments:

  1. I use her foundation and it is lovely! If you want an amazing pan concealer, try MAC's Studio Finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the liquid foundation and it was TERRIBLE.
    The formula was so odd!
    Glad that it worked though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Will need to try out the conealer at some point.

    Also, Scottish skin? High five me, sister, Scottish bloggers unite!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive been looking for reviews on these! I keep wanting to to get them. I've just recently bought 2 BD lipsticks also :)

    brill post :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...